Friday, October 17, 2008

The World View

I enjoy reading news articles from other nations news agencies. I think it gives you a better perspective on what is really going on in the world. I was reading the Serbian and Russian news today to get their take on current events around the world. It seems to be the sentiment those countries and most of Society that many of the worlds problems can be directly traced back to the U.S.'s economic and foreign policies. From NATO to the UN, nations around the world seem to be growing weary of our "western ideas" and this fact really comes out in their news reports. I don't particularly agree with their more pessimistic views and of course you have to take any news report with a grain of salt if from the U.S. or any other country, but I find it interesting to hear other nations commentary on what is going on in our country. I think it's good to get as many different points of view as possible on whatever the subject may be. Stepping out of the box once in a while can help solidify your own views and convictions.

When we were living in China we were really exposed to this idea of looking in from the outside, so to speak. Although censored by the central government, we still got a news report with a different point of view, or spin. You really get exposed to a more unbiased news report. At least when it comes to U.S. current events. It's refreshing to escape the same ole partisan spin that is so pervasive in the U.S. media. I'm not naive though, the Chinese put a whole different kind of spin on their reports by way of government censorship, but as a foreigner you are usually able to see through it most of the time. So, go get some other points of view. It's good for you.

No comments: